Teen vaping has been referred to as an epidemic. As far as teenagers are concerned they vape with the help of Juul which looks like a small flash drive. Well, how to tell if your kids are into it? There are telling signs like restlessness, nosebleeds, irritability, and increase in thirst etc. If you come across e-cigarettes, empty pods or not so familiar USB cables then it is an indication that your kids are doing it.
Teens and smoking habits
Studies show that young people are actually aware of the risks associated with tobacco products, which is a wonderful thing. They are well aware of the long term effects of tobacco products. May be because of the same, cigarette smoking among teens is low. We have to thank the anti-smoking advocacy for the same. Research has shown that teens are disinterested in tobacco products. First and foremost, they are not impressed with the fact that it is smelly. They are also aware of the fact that it is not good for your health. Well, vaping was introduced only a decade ago. Vaping is regarded as the modern replacement for smoking. Teens like vaping, as per the studies. They have aversion only to cigarettes it seems.
Teens and electronic cigarettes
- Well, you need to understand the fact that electronic cigarette contains as much nicotine as compared to regular cigarettes.
- The best part of using e-cigars for teenagers is that it is easy to conceal. Since it produces little or no scent, it becomes easier for you to hide it from your family members. May be that is one reason for teenagers to prefer e-cigs over regular cigarettes.
- Here you have the ability to mix nicotine with flavors which make it tolerable. Flavors conceal much of the discomfort that comes with it.
- May be that is the reason why pod vapes are really popular. This has resulted in nicotine addiction among teenagers which need to be addressed. In fact, most parents are not even aware of the existence of e-cigarettes.
- Manufacturers have come to realize that this trend exists among teenagers. They tell the public that this device is not meant for under age users. Despite that teens continue to use it.
- The problem lies with the fact that kids are totally aware of the dangers which are associated with pod vapes. In fact, they know little about the dangers of vaping in general. So putting this entirely on the manufacturers is not the right solution.
- Parents also can do a great deal here. Same with teachers as well. As a an adult you can talk to the teenagers about the dangers of vaping. They should at least know what they are getting into.
The developing brain
The prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain which is responsible for self-control and reason develops at last. And it happens in your teen years. Therefore e-cigarettes can be really bad for teenagers. They might be dependent on it once they start using it. Once they get used to nicotine, it might become harder for them to keep it under control.